Monday, October 16, 2006

Happy Belated Feast Day!!

Yesterday was the Feast of St. Teresa of Jesus, Virgin and Doctor, more commonly known as St. Teresa of Avila. She was the founder of the Discalced Carmelites and the one whom God chose to teach us how to progress in the way of perfection. She was a Saint of great sanctity and an amazing prayer life. However, she was not always so. In her younger days, she was quite "worldly" (in the terms of her times, not ours). She eventually entered a Carmelite Monastery when she was 20. She then entered a long period of spiritual mediocrity that lasted 18 years, mainly because she had a strong desire to be appreciated by others. She finally let that go and began the mystical time of her life.

I would recommend reading anything that you can get your hands on from her. Don't read what others say about her....read her. Her collected works can be found here. They can also be found on the internet here. (scroll down a bit). A couple exceptions - Fr. Thomas Dubay and Ralph Martin.

She is simply amazing and very real. She struggled with so many things and was so honest about it. I think all of us can identify with her struggles. She did, however, have a great determination to be close to God and would let nothing get in her way. Let us have that attitude!

St. Teresa, only you know what you mean to me. You have helped me, guided me, and walked beside me long before my conversion and ever since. It is becoming so clear. I am so honored to call you mother and sister and Saint. I owe to you my life with Christ, my life of prayer...Please always walk beside this wayward son teaching him to pray, to persevere, to love. Please help me imitate you and to walk in your ways!

St. Teresa of Jesus, ora pro nobis!!

No comments: