Sunday, June 03, 2007

If Jesus came today...

We have all thought about what it would be like if Jesus came today.

I think there are many right now who think he would come with the 1962 Missal in one hand, a sword in the other, while solely speaking Latin.

There are others that think he would come as a woman or Buddha or a goddess telling us all the religions are exactly the same.

The next bunch thinks he would come only to the poor and would never even look at the rich at all. In fact, he would condemn them with fire and hell.

Some think that he will come pat them on the head, tell them that he loves them, and tells them to keep doing what they are doing 'cause they are a "good person".

How long could I go on here?? My point is this: It is our tendency, whoever we are, to read our concerns, likes, dislikes, and our very self into a false portrait of Jesus. He was completely free with a divine freedom. Jesus wasn't concerned about expectations and didn't fulfill them. He didn't care what people thought of him, nor did he try to please anyone on this earth. His one and only concern was to do the Father's will to the point of calling it his food:
Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work. Jn 4:34
The Father, completely sovereign, does whatever he pleases. More often than not, the move of God is a scandal by doing exactly opposite of what we think he ought to do:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Is 55:8-9
The way we can worship in the Spirit and truth is to know Jesus, the Truth, as he is rather than as we want him. Then, and only then, can we move toward a deeper relationship with him.

On this most Solemn Feast of the Holy Trinity, let us pray for the grace to set aside ourselves so that we might receive him in fullness. In his day, the ones who missed him were the ones who couldn't see past their preconceived notions. Let us embrace him as he is: Lord, Master, Brother, Lover, Eternal Priest, and King...

3 comments:

Brian said...

Hey Mike... I am going to be planning a retreat for the church in Moscow this fall, and I wanted to get some insight from you since I remember you did such a great job about it. Could you shoot me an email... brian.seel [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks Mike.

Tenille Rudeen said...

Amen to that. It is funny that you made that post because God has been speaking that same message to me as well. So, I guess thank you God for speaking through Mike to give me support in my walk with Christ.

Michael Lee said...

Thank you, Tenille! If you want to do some further reading, check out The Lord by Romano Guardini. His book helped me to see this more clearly.