Sunday, September 17, 2006

Communion Prayer of the Byzantine Rite...

I just got back form the attending the Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy. Ahhhh...it is so amazing! I love it! Hopefully, I will be able to post some pictures of a Divine Liturgy that occurred as the inaugural Mass for the ITI school year. In the meantime, I wanted to share with you a beautiful prayer that is said just prior to Communion. I would invite you to use it since the Byzantine Rite is a Catholic Liturgical Rite, we Latins can participate in their Liturgy. You can memorize it or take it with you to Mass as a prayer of preparation before Communion, or you could say it at home as a preparation for Mass.

O Lord, I believe and profess that You are truly Christ, the Son of the living God, Who came into the World to save sinners, of whom I am the first. Accept me as a partaker of Your mystical supper, O Son of God, for I will not reveal the mysteries to Your enemies, nor will I give You a kiss as did Judas, but, like the thief, I confess to You:
Remember me, O Lord, when you shall come into Your kingdom.
Remember me , O Master, when You shall come into Your kingdom.
Remember me, O Holy One, when You shall come into Your kingdom.
May the partaking of Your holy mysteries, O Lord, be not for my judgment or condemnation, but for the healing of soul and body.
O Lord, I also believe and profess that this, which I am about to receive, is truly Your most precious Body, and Your life-giving Blood, which, I pray, make me worthy to receive for the remission of all my sins and for life everlasting. Amen
O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.
O God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me.
O Lord, forgive me for I have sinned without number.

No comments: